July 14th, 2016
|10:59 pm - Things!|
Thing the first: As the Pegasus Awards Nomination deadline draws closer, I've been signal-boosting elsewhere on the internet, and realized I should probably do the same here. Go check out the brainstorming poll! And then nominate! Nominate like the WIND! (I also embarked on a project of compiling audio links of the brainstorming poll results, but there is seriously not going to be enough time to do it. But go check out the list anyway!)
(also: "Creatures of Dream" made the brainstorming poll aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)
Thing the second: I have just reposted a bunch of short-short ficbits I wrote on tumblr to my AO3 account, including the "Blue Food" one that some of you have heard me talking about recently.
Thing the third: my lost phone has been found and returned to me by a kind and helpful stranger! Now I just need to copy all the old phone numbers into the new phone. Unless I can just get the SIM card transferred. Note to self: look into that.
Thing the fourth: the kidney stone saga continues, very boringly. As of a week ago today I have had ~*laser surgery*~ on one of them, and I am assured that at this point I should have a bunch of fine sand-to-gravel where the biggest stone used to be. Sadly, neither the lasers nor the earlier sonic blast treatment appear to have conferred any superpowers.
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/150227.html. There are comments there.]
June 30th, 2016
|11:07 am - Music news!|
So for those of you who don't follow me on tumblr, especially my fellow filkers: there is now an official studio recording of "Creatures of Dream".
Some of you probably remember Jesse Dangerously coming to join me at FKO to perform this song; we took advantage of being in the same place and of Jesse's portable recording equipment to cut this track the following morning. And I am so glad we did.
Please feel free to share it around!
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/149731.html. There are comments there.]
May 1st, 2016
|04:41 pm - * not actually dead|
Every so often I remember that (a) most of you here don't follow me on tumblr, and (b) I don't post the kind of personal stuff on tumblr that I used to post here all the time, and what that means is that people aren't getting updated about important stuff in my life. For instance I don't think I've actually posted about it here at all since my relatively recent health troubles started. WOOPS. Some of you already know bits of it; I think I've sort of been stalling on saying anything here until I could put together a coherent and cleverly worded post about it? For some reason?
1. OKAY SO HI EVERYBODY it turns out I've got kidney stones. Have known this for roughly six months, ish, and have been getting various forms of tests and treatment, punctuated by exciting visits to the emergency room -- most recently last Thursday night, just into the last two days of Pesach. I was able to go home Friday afternoon, after another visit to ambulatory surgery to have some new hardware installed; I already had one on the right and now I've got a matched pair. Whee. I'm really hoping to be able to step up the further procedures to finally get rid of the stones (and thus also the hardware, which isn't terribly comfortable). I am assured by my doctor that this is not-repeat-not in any way likely to be a life-threatening issue, and given successful treatment, shouldn't have any long-term impact on quality of life either. I really hope he's right.
2. Unrelated to my health, another thing I really wish I'd posted about sooner: being the Interfilk guest at FKO last month was an honor and a delight, and I hope we get to go back on occasion in future. Phil Mills got some lovely photos of my concert, along with many others; there's also a video of Mark Bernstein leading and directing a choral performance of "Green Hills of Earth." (If anyone here has video of my concert, or knows anyone else who does, please let me know.)
3. This is neither particularly coherent nor particularly cleverly worded, but if I don't just sigh and hit the Post To button anyway, it'll never go up.
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/149412.html. There are comments there.]
January 14th, 2016
January 2nd, 2016
|10:14 pm - Books I Read In 2015|
Once again: the full list of books I read in the past year. Not counted are comic books, graphic novels, fanfics, works in progress that I have edited or beta-read, or webcomics. (Which means that this year I'm not including having read the entire run to date of Order of the Stick.)
Titles behind the ( cut-tag.Collapse )
My total count is down again this year, from 152 to 142. First-time-read count has gone way down, from 62 (41% of all books read) to 35 (25%). Last year was kind of an outlier, though; this is much closer to my average.
My six most-read authors this year were Terry Pratchett, Robert Jordan, Diane Duane, Anne McCaffrey, Stephen King, and J.K. Rowling (with the last two tied). Topping the first-time-read chart this year are Edgar Rice Burroughs, Intisar Khanani, Seanan McGuire, C.S. Lewis, N.K. Jemisin, and Patricia C. Wrede.
William Gibson's Pattern Recognition and Jo Walton's Among Others are still my most-reread books over the eight years I've been tracking. Following them are Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, Sherwood Smith's Inda series, Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion, Janet Kagan's Hellspark, Janet Kagan's Mirabile, and Dorothy Sayers's Busman's Honeymoon.
And because I didn't say so the other night: Happy New Year to all, and may this year be better than the last.
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/148836.html. There are comments there.]
October 11th, 2015
"Iiiit's that time again!"
"Time to select this year's sacrificial pumpkin?""Time to pick up a copy of Grays Sports Almanac 1950-2000?"
"Nooooo. It's time for another New York / New Jersey area housefilk!"
Sunday, October 18, at the home of Aaron Davies in Jersey City. Details and RSVP here or here. Feel free to boost the signal!
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/148699.html. There are comments there.]
July 28th, 2015
"Iiiit's that time again!"
"Time for another edition of Thunderdome?""Time for Together Breakfast?"
"Nooooo. It's time for another New York / New Jersey area housefilk!"
Sunday, August 16, at Witts' End. Details and RSVP here or here. Feel free to boost the signal!
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/148407.html. There are comments there.]
July 5th, 2015
|05:25 pm - a roundup of recent interesting things|
With accompanying links to posts about it on tumblr!
Anyone here watching Steven Universe? I may have tripped and fallen into it sometime in the past several months. It's the kind of show that draws you in with how sweet and adorable and silly it is and then slams you to the floor with ALL THE FEELS, which as you all know is basically where I live. It's about adventure and family and relationships and bizarre gemstone-based aliens. (steven universe WARNING: SPOILERS. also fanart, gifsets, meta, silliness, fanvids, and at least one song.)
... and for a polar opposite, anyone here seen and liked Mad Max: Fury Road? Because holy crapballs was that amazing. (mad max fury road WARNING: SPOILERS. also fanart, gifsets, meta, and at least one bit of instafic.)
here are some adorable pictures of a kitten and an owl
Filker types: did you know about this blog? He's taking suggestions and submissions.
I think I have finally perfected my sugar-free whole-wheat challah! Photos of a successful bake and recipe here.
This is an experimental thing; I may do more of this as time goes on, as I've been neglecting this journal shamefully this year. Thoughts?
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/148021.html. There are comments there.]
April 17th, 2015
|04:33 pm - So this is a thing that's happening.|
Oh hey, what's that right at the bottom of the Upcoming Guests section of the Interfilk Guests page?
Does that say Batya Wittenberg at FilKONtario 26 in 2016?
WHY, I DO BELIEVE IT DOES. :D :D :D
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/147908.html. There are comments there.]
January 29th, 2015
|09:31 pm - OC: Original Character|
A questions meme about original fictional characters, courtesy of in_the_blue!
If you know what character you want, you can pick, or you can describe a character and I'll snag my closest match. Or just leave it to me to pick.
Send me a number and I'll answer the questions with one of my OCs:
- How does your OC react when their rival is grovelling at their feet for their life?
- What’s the subtitle that accompanies your OC’s name during their dramatic intro?
- What incredibly lame thing does your OC do while thinking that it’s actually super cool?
- How would your OC react to meeting someone who is attempting to impersonate them?
- Would your OC try to weasel out of a genie wish limit with the wishing for more wishes bullshit?
- Exactly what amount of wealth would be enough to tempt your OC into doing something that is distasteful but not specifically against their moral code?
- What is the most unacceptable pun that someone would use in conversation with your OC?
- Would your OC eat cooked testicles assuming they’re prepared hygienically?
- If your OC attempted to clean their nails with a dagger like some sort of stereotypical fantasy badass would they accidentally cut themselves?
- How many days can your OC go without bathing before they can’t stand being in their own body anymore?
[This entry was originally posted at http://batyatoon.dreamwidth.org/147616.html. There are comments there.]